ASCRS EyeConnect Code of Conduct, Guidelines and "Netiquette"
Welcome to EyeConnect, the largest peer-to-peer mobile community for sharing clinical information among anterior segment surgeons. EyeConnect is a valuable ASCRS benefit that is available to all current members. Members are automatically enrolled when they join, and they simply need to adjust their EyeConnect settings and customize how they wish to receive information and engage with the platform. For assistance please contact email@example.com.
To ensure the best possible experience for all members, participants are required to follow basic guidelines. Participating members should familiarize themselves with these guidelines and the disclaimers set forth below. Failure to comply may result in termination of access to EyeConnect.
By using EyeConnect, you agree that you have read and will follow the guidelines set for these peer discussion groups. This is a great platform to use to solicit advice from your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in ongoing conversations. Questions about ASCRS EyeConnect and technical issues should be directed to the ASCRS Member Services department, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact email@example.com. To preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, ASCRS reserves the right to suspend or terminate membership on all lists for members who violate these guidelines.
- Topics are restricted to those subjects that directly impact anterior segment surgeons and their business practice.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the list(s) is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- ASCRS and other EyeConnect list participants have the right to reproduce EyeConnect postings.
- When posting messages please be sure they are directly relevant to anterior segment surgeons and use the most appropriate list(s) which include: Business, Cataract/Refractive, Comprehensive, Cornea, Glaucoma, and Young Physician’s List.
- Defamatory, disparaging, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive language is prohibited.
- It is understood that from time to time there may be respectful challenges of scientific or clinical perspectives. Personal challenges or attacks are strictly prohibited.
- Commercial messages are prohibited. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would be helpful.
- Do not spam several lists with the same message.
- Do not forward messages that include personal information from EyeConnect to any other list serve or discussion group.
- Announcements about events, organizations, vendors, and/or services that compete with ASCRS or ASOA are prohibited. Please consult with the ASCRS Executive Director about requests to post information that might fall into one of these categories.
- When including an attachment, please provide a name and appropriate “tags” or keywords that help others to search the archives. Attachments will upload automatically from the post to the library. If you upload the document/image to the library first, you will have to right click the document/image and copy and paste the link into your post. Don’t forget to step through the naming and tagging process so your item can be searched.
- Unless posting anonymously, include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, and location.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting. Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link within the email itself.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list, through the eGroup. Instead, use the Web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- These eGroups are provided as a service of ASCRS which is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. ASCRS disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by ASCRS or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall ASCRS be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
- Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants ASCRS and users of this list the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
- Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or implicitly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
- ASCRS will take appropriate action as detailed below (See: Penalties and Termination) in response to any inappropriate posts.
Penalties and Termination
- If, in the sole opinion of the ASCRS Executive Committee or its designee(s), a member has failed to abide by these guidelines, that event may result in suspension, restriction or removal of a participant's List privileges, and if repeated, possible loss of membership in the ASCRS organization.
- In the event that the EyeConnect guidelines are violated, the offending member may be barred from using the List for up to ninety days for a first violation, but this does not preclude termination of the ASCRS member for any serious first-time guideline infractions. Upon return of EyeConnect privileges, any additional violation of the guidelines may result in a permanent loss of privileges and possible termination of ASCRS membership.
- Any member who is terminated from ASCRS membership because of an EyeConnect guideline infraction(s) may appeal this determination in writing within 30 days of member notification of ASCRS termination to the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee will respond in writing to the terminated member within 30 days as to its final decision.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT INDIVIDUALS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ASCRS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, OR COMMITTEE MEMBERS, WHO POST INFORMATION ON THIS SITE DO SO IN THEIR PERSONAL CAPACITY UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED. THE STATEMENTS OF INDIVIDUALS WHO POST INFORMATION OR SERVE AS MODERATORS FOR SPECIFIC DISCUSSIONS ARE THEIR PERSONAL OPINIONS AND SHOULD NOT BE TREATED OR RELIED UPON AS ESTABLISHING THE STANDARD OF CARE. PHYSICIANS WHO PARTICIPATE IN THIS SITE MUST MAKE THEIR OWN DETERMINATIONS ABOUT THE PROPER TREATMENT FOR THEIR PATIENTS.